Being able to perform daily tasks and activities with proficiency is vital to maintaining independence and fostering the very best quality of life. Dressing, bathing, personal hygiene, eating, and getting around are all common activities that we tend to take for granted. When injury, illness or surgery interfere with your ability to fully function on a daily basis, an occupational therapist can help you regain your competency at performing important daily tasks.
Occupational therapy enables people of all ages to live better after injury, illness, or disability. Common occupational therapy interventions include:
- Helping children with disabilities to fully participate in school and social situations
- Helping patients recovering from injury, illness or surgery to regain essential skills
- Providing support for older adults undergoing age-related physical and cognitive challenges
Occupational therapy services include:
- A thorough evaluation to help determine your limitations and goals
- Personalized interventions designed to improve your ability to perform daily activities and attain goals
- Outcome evaluations to ensure your goals are being met
- Adaptations to your environment to meet your individual needs
Your occupational therapist will conduct a thorough evaluation of your visual, perceptual and cognitive skills necessary for performing daily functional activities. They will then design a treatment program tailored to your individual needs. In some cases an occupational therapist will help you obtain special equipment such as a wheelchair, bathroom equipment or other adaptive equipment, and will make sure you know how to use it safely and effectively.
Depending on your situation, your sessions with an occupational therapist may be inpatient or outpatient. Your sessions will help you build the strength, dexterity, coordination and confidence necessary for performing specific daily tasks.
OT at Back to Health
At Back to Health Physical & Occupational Therapy, we work with your other health care providers to ensure you receive the very best care and treatment for your injury or disability. Our highly trained occupational therapists understand how important it is for you to be able to function independently and enjoy life to the fullest. Contact Back to Health today at any of our convenient Brooklyn locations, and get back to fully functional daily living.